Thursday, August 25, 2011

Real Party: Japanese Cherry Blossom Baby Shower

This past weekend was my friend Lindsay's baby shower. 
We did a Japanese Cherry Blossom theme in pink and gray.  Her nursery is  going to be pink and gray cherry blossoms, and we added some Japanese touches as a nod to her culture. I was so happy with how everything turned out! I think she was too. 


I used this invitation from Ink Obsession Designs.  The designer, Erin, was fabulous to work with. She reworked the invite for a baby shower and got it to me very quickly when I found myself running out of time. 

A sign welcomed guests to my backyard.  
Konnichiwa means Good Afternoon or Hello in Japanese. 

My friend Drea made several pink party poms and then painted cherry blossoms onto white lanterns.  It made a beautiful display. 

When guests arrived we had appetizers and drinks out. 
Itadakimasu means something close to Let's Eat in Japanese.

Appetizers were potstickers (with little flags inspired by this wedding), spam and vegetable musubi (which Lindsay loves), and Japanese rice crackers (served in doily cones made by Katie). 
All the food labels had both the Japanese and English names for the foods on them. 

I made a sparkling pink lemonade and had several kinds of white and sparkling wine. 

Guests found their seats at one of three tables around the backyard.
I made runners for the tables. 
Drea, Deb, Christina, and I made tissue cherry blossom branches centerpieces. These were based off this tutorial on Hostess with the Mostess.  They were fairly easy, but time consuming.  But it paid off. I loved the low centerpieces on each table.  

 We also used some of the branches to make a tree for guests to hang advice from. 

Katie made napkin rings out of Japanese paper from Paper Source.
We had the favors at each place setting.  We had Pocky sticks, which came in the cutest pink and silver packaging, and sugar cookies with custom cherry blossom toppers. 
The toppers were from Sweet'n Treats, who is a sponsor of this blog. They were adorable.
This picture is so washed out that it doesn't do the topper justice. Check back tomorrow and I'll have more pictures and tell you all about how I used these toppers. 

Lunch was Hawaiian plate lunch foods (Lindsay's favorite!).  We had green salad, sticky rice, mac salad, teriyaki chicken, and kalua pork with cabbage.  It was delicious. The meats were from Takahashi Market

After a leisurely lunch, it was time for dessert.
Drea's cherry blossom cake was one of the highlights of the shower. It was just as tasty as it was beautiful.  We also served strawberry mochi ice cream on the side. 

How beautiful is this cake? 

Lindsay will have one well dressed little girl. :) 
Congratulations Linds, can't waaaaaait to meet her!! 

Thanks so much to everyone who helped with the shower! Some I mentioned already, but I'll do it again: Drea, Deb, Leslie, Katie, Christina, Jeani, Megan, and even Janelle (from afar!)

Vendors: 
Cookie Toppers: Sweet'n Treats

On another note...Look at these preggo friends I have!
I told you there were going to be lots and lots of baby showers coming up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment